We, the members of the Open Textbook Network (OTN), commit to working together to make open the default in higher education. When we advance open education locally and collectively, we empower faculty, remove barriers to education, and enhance student success.
The OTN is a vibrant and supportive community that advances the use of open educational resources and practices. Members benefit from and contribute to the global open education ecosystem.
These are the guiding principles that inform OTN actions:
- The Common Good: We are working for the common good of our communities. The results of our collective efforts belong to all of us. We have a mutual responsibility for stewardship of resources we create together in order to preserve and improve them for future generations. We welcome others who share our vision of the common good.
- Equity: We have a collective responsibility to build systems that will foster a more equitable future.
- Inclusivity: We believe that a diverse and inclusive community is the best way to ensure informed, just, and effective community decisions and actions.
- Action: We are an action-oriented organization advancing and championing ideas that will have a lasting benefit for the students, faculty, and staff of academic institutions and the future of learning.
- Humanity: We are not merely consumers—we are human beings. As colleagues, community members, citizens, and experts in our own lived experiences, we treat every individual with dignity and respect. We act honestly, truthfully, fairly, and with integrity in all our dealings.
- Integrity: We are accountable, transparent, and ethical. Decisions that impact the OTN are made through OTN community engagement.
- Shared Abundance: We believe that nothing should stand in the way of learning. Our collective knowledge exists in abundance. We are committed to using this abundance for the benefit of all.